Thursday, December 29, 2011

Needed: a few good men

If you're not in the mood to hear me rant and rave, don't read this post...

Nothing tears your heart up like child abuse does. When a child feels guilty for turning in his father or step-father that is abusing him and his younger siblings, you want to grab him by the shoulders, shake him and tell him that he's the victim, the abused. It always amazes me that despite being beaten badly, thrown across a room, physically abused and made to feel like trash (wish you were never born, you're not my son), a child still misses his dad.

Oh, for a few good men. Men who earn a living and provide for their family. Men who protect their children rather than beat the living daylights out of them. Men whose children feel they are big and strong and inspire confidence and a feeling of security, rather than make them cower in fear. Men who inspire their children to run home to them when they are afraid, rather than their children being afraid to go home to them.

I thank God for the many fathers in my practice who love their kids. I even appreciate the ones that hover over me when I examine their child, or yell at me, frightened and helpless, to do something, when their child is sick or in pain. These are men.

Not the cowards who use their strength to beat up a little one, who hurt and dissappoint.

And through all the fear, bruises and being put down, these children still miss their dad and want to make them proud. Go figure.

Be vigilant. Stamp out child abuse. Join me in affirming and assuring children that if they are being hurt, they can talk to you and you will do something about it. Show these little ones what adults can really do. Speak positive things, affirm, praise, reassure and cheer up a child.

No comments: