Saturday, December 31, 2011

The 90s

Yesterday was a strange day. Med-Peds makes for some interesting contrasts. I went in to see a 93 year old. She still drives, lives alone and is quite healthy, other than some arthritis. I once joked with her saying "I hope that when I'm 90, I'm as healthy as you and still practicing medicine. She came back with "And I hope I'm still your patient."

The next patient was 2. He was, well... 2... running around, playing and talking.

The next patient was 96. He came with his daughter. Apart from swelling in his lower legs, he was doing quite well, thank you.

The next patient was another 2 year old, a girl, this time.

Thank you, dear patients, for bringing joy and hope to my life.

To those of you who still live in the past (when people who died in their 70s had 'lived a long and good life', it is time to update: we CAN live into our 90s and enjoy a good quality of life.

No comments: