Friday, August 11, 2017

Saying Goodbye to the Marshfield Clinic...Part 2

So, here's the thing:

Is any of this captured in metrics? Can we measure the trust, the bond, the relationship between a doctor and their patient in any of these 'pay-for-performance' measures? As a human being, isn't relationship above billable actions? Shouldn't it be? I became a primary care physician to provide birth-to-death care BUT in a context of a longitudinal relationship. I don't see myself as a 'service' provider, or a paid expert delivering a product. Ah well, I guess I'm an idealist. I guess the world doesn't work that way. Medicare and Third Part Payers could care less about our feelings, relationships and sentiments...only about measurable, billable activities, products and services.

Sometimes, I feel a little lost because of this mismatch. Is there anywhere or anywhen I could go to where healthcare is contextual and the doctor is a part of community, adding his piece to that of others, building, nurturing and promoting health and wellbeing? (Hmmm... I think there's a Walgreens commercial like that).

Today I am sad. I feel I am leaving family behind as I go elsewhere. The Marshfield Clinic was not a place where I worked, but a place where I lived, built memories, laughed, cried and struggled for my patients. It will forever be a part of who I am (I trained there, after all), and I hope, I shall forever be a part of what it is.

No comments: