Friday, August 18, 2017

Day 5 in New York

We (Amy and I) both got up early today. She had to head off to the Middle School to get Phoebe registered. I drove back to the Northtown Auto Bureau -- the DMV office we had visited day before yesterday. After staring at all my documents for what appeared to be an inordinate amount of time, the clerk finally accepted them. I had my picture taken and was given computer generated temperory license. The real thing will be mailed to my home address in 2 weeks. I'm okay with that. So, yay, I finally have a New York drivers license.

I headed from there to the Public Storage facility where our things are stored. I finished out a formal white shirt and my suit jacket. I stopped at a Walgreens to buy a razor (to give myself a haircut) and some toiletries (the travel size items I had brought with me were nearly gone). On my way back to the Red Roof Inn, I realized that I also needed a lint remover. I found a Rite-Aid and picked one up. I finally made it back to the Inn by about 1 pm. I buzzed my hair, pressed my white shirt and crumpled suit jacket (from being in a suitcase in storage) and had a shower. I then drove to the University at Buffalo South Campus for my appointment to have my Professional Potrait taken. This is a requirement of the school for its web sites. I thought it would be good to do this before I begin work, so that I would not have to take time off for it then. After the appointment, I called the New York State Medical Licensing office to apply for a photographic ID. After being on hold for 20 minutes, that was done. I then drove to Buffalo General Medical Center to meet with Dr. Michael Aronica. He was on call with the ward team and we met on the 13th floor in the team work room. We chatted about coming aboard and he answered some of my questions. I got to sit in on sign-out rounds. Felt good to be talking medicine again.

I got back to the Inn at about 6:00 pm. After sitting around for a bit, Amy and I went to supper at Kabab and Curry -- the same restaurant, as it turned out -- that we ate at when we came for our house-hunting trip. We finally got back to the Inn at 8:30 pm and I was able to update this log.

The work-week is over. Next week, there is some computer training in AllScripts -- their EHR (Electronic Health Record), meetings with Complainace folk, billing folk, an on boarding processing meeting and a Meet and Greet at a UBMD meeting of 250 physicians and administrators. I believe I see my first patient on August 29.

We've gotten some recommendations from folk on some local churches. We plan to go to service at The Chappel this Sunday.

No comments: