Saturday, August 26, 2017

Figuring out work...

So far, working in New York is interesting. I see my first patients on Tuesday next week. I am excited, scared and many other things.

Here is my current understanding of who I work for:

I will getting 2 pay checks -- one from the the University at Buffalo (UB), The State University of New York, as an Associate Professor, and the other as a Physician of the UBMD Internal Medicine Division, a part of the UBMD Physician Group -- a private practice group. However, as part of the being a UB professor, I will also be an attending in the teaching services at Buffalo General Medical Center (BGMC) and the Oshei Chldren's Hospital. I believe both are facilities managed by Kaleida Health. So I had to get credentialed with UB, UBMD and Kaleida Health.

It has been interesting trying to get on-boarded with these 3 organizations. For example, when I brought up the hiccups with my health insurance benefits with some HR folk, I was told, "Oh, that's UB. I'm UBMD. I don't know anything about that." Additionally, each organization has its own slew of compliance and HR courses new employees must do at hire and periodically: things like sexual harassment, violence in the work place, fraud, abuse and waste and other such things. So I have done 3 courses in sexual harassment -- one each from Kaleida Health, UB and UBMD.

Since UBMD pays the larger part of my salary (2/3rds), my primary work is with them. My location is at Convetus, in the UBMD Division of Internal Medicine on the 4th floor. The 4th floor of Conventus is interesting: there are several UBMD Division with clinics there: UBMD Pediatrics, UBMD Neurology and perhaps UBMD Dermatology. There also seems to a UBMD Pulmonary Testing facility. Interestingly, all these UBMD Divisions have separate tax IDs. So collaborating will be interesting.

We are still working on setting up the Internal Medicine and General Pediatrics in the UBMD Internal Medicine Division. The venue is very new and very modern. It is also quite large. I look forward to making it a buzzing and humming locations with lots of adult and kid patients and an environment that is friendly and welcoming to both these groups.

No comments: