Thursday, September 03, 2009

Biting your lip...

Kind of getting into the swing of things: several days of seeing patients in my clinic, mornings of acute care in Peds, urgent care last evening. Interesting how one evolves after residency. When I see a patient, I'm sometimes torn between: did I work this up enough? Did I do too much testing? Should I have sent this one home or watched them in the hospital? Yesterday a 16 year old football player came in with a dislocated finger. I never set one of those in residency. I looked it up in a text and was all set to numb up the finger with a finger block. I got pre-reduction x-rays that confirmed the finger was dislocated. Then, I asked one of the other docs in urgent care that night -- a family physician with more years of experience if he had done one of these before. He came into the room with me and while talking to the boy yanked on his finger and set it. No pain medicine. He didn't think we should get post-xrays. I thought about the difference in comfort levels we bought had at different stages of our careers. I would have done it, but first numbed up the finger, then set it, then got post xrays, in short, spent more healthcare money and been more cautious. Some cases I think that if I was more experienced I would make the call with fewer tests. Other cases, I wonder if that is necessarily the right thing to do. Work in progress...

No comments: