Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Boards...

Years ago, a physician told me "If you're going to be a doctor, I hope you love studying..."

Well, residency is over. The reading, of course, never ends... and neither should it. There are always new things to learn: new guidelines, new studies, new vaccines and new diseases. What many didn't count on though, was exams! Besides the inservice exams we do every year in residency (and in Med-Peds, because we are doing 2 specialties, we get to do two of these each year), there are the Boards.

After residency in Internal Medicine, graduating residents get to take the internal medicine board exams, held by the American Board of Internal Medicine. It is an all-day computer exam, going from 8:00 to 6:00 with 240 questions set in blocks of 2 hours each (60 questions to a block, so 2 minutes per question). If you pass this (pass rates have been of the order of 91 - 92% with roughly 7,100 taking it every year), you are certified as a diplomate of the Board of Internal Medicine -- a "board-certified" internist. This is the initial certification. One has to re-certify every 10 years. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

It's amazing how there's a little cottage-industry that is spawned by the many exams in medicine. There are review courses, study guides, books, DVDs, CDs, MP3s... you name it.Every exam (the USMLEs, the Boards in each specialty) has its own little industry. While no-one can legally tell you what'll be on the boards, you hear a lot of "they're bound to ask you this, or that.

Well, I've been through yet another exam trauma -- the whole ritual of preparation angst, pre-exam anxiety, exhaustion and finally relief. I took the exam on Thursday this past week, so I 'blew off' this weekend (didn't do anything meaningful).

Results come in 3 months.

Oh, did I mention, that because I'm Med-Peds, I have the Pediatrics Board exam to look forward to. I plan to do that next year, but I'll start studying now. Fun, fun, fun!

No comments: