Saturday, September 12, 2009

Paternalism, paternalistic and empathy

I have several young woman in my practice. Well, I'm a Med-Peds doc so I have patients of all ages in my practice.

In the interaction between an adult and a child, paternalism seems quite natural. In medical school, we were warned against paternalism: defined in medical ethics as "A policy or practice of treating or governing people in a fatherly manner, especially by providing for their needs without giving them rights or responsibilities." Appropriately warned, physicians try to walk the fine line between the patient's "beneficience" and "autonomy".

When a 20-something young lady refused the HPV vaccine, tells me that she smokes while on birth control and has had at least 4 sexual partners in the past year, and does not use condoms every time, the 'father' in me wants to break out of the white coat and speak to her as I would if she were my child. After all, I internally reflect, from the perspective of the age difference between us, I could have had a daughter as old as her.

Lest you think there's something psychosexual about this, I feel the same way when my 20-something young man with Crohn's disease and a colectomy tells me one day before he is due to go to college that he has been having some abdominal pain and fatigue. The father in me once again wants to leap across the invisible waves to his cell phone as I'm trying to leave a message to him far away to tell him that his hemoglobin is low and he needs iron supplements and to see someone locally soon.

Okay! (deep breath).

These are adults (technically, at least), with their autonomy and I must not be paternalistic... I must not be paternalistic... I must not be paternalistic... I must...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi there bros. I'm actually into shoes and I have been searching for the sake of that singular make. The prices seeking the shoes are all over 330 bucks everwhere. But finally I found this site selling them someone is concerned half price. I exceptionally love those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will probably purchase them. what can you say about it?

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.