Thursday, July 02, 2009

The last day of residency

June 30, 2009: this was the last day of work in my residency in Med-Peds.

I began residency on July 13, 2005. Technically, that means I should work until July 12, 2009 to complete the four year program. However, I saved up some vacation time during my last time so that I could end on June 30. During the month of June, I was doing a rotation in Pediatric Hematology-Oncology.

Something special happened on this morning: as I drove into work, I saw a beautiful complete rainbow arc across the sky. It was a complete rainbow from horizon to horizon. One end of it dipped into the horizon just at the location of the Marshfield Clinic. Okay, I'm not going to read anything into this, but it was really cool and special, being my last day of residency and all. :-)

My last day began with Morning Report in Pediatrics. The ward team presented a case of a 4-year old with a rash and fever and we talked about rashes. It was nostalgic to be sitting there as a resident for the last time.

The morning was spent rounding on the 2 Heme-Onc patients we had. I then had an exit quiz in my attending's office. That went well. Interesting how one learns during these rotations. It's like when you look at yourself in a mirror everyday and can't see the changes accomulating daily. Someone else, seeing you after a period sees them immediately. The quiz gave me perspective on my learning in Heme-Onc.

After lunch, I sat down with the program coordinator and went through the exit list. A day before, I had got to hand over my resident's pager. However, since I am staying on here, it was simply replaced by an identical appearing but newer pager. Kind of an anti-climax: I had heard stories of people being so grateful to finally hand off the pager that had 'killed' many a night of sleep. Somehow, I never felt that way. Each page was an invitation to an adventure, a thrill.

Instead of the exit interview being a simple handing over of everything, it was more like a replacing of 'resident' stuff with 'attending' stuff.

The afternoon was not so busy. At 4:30 pm I went to the Pediatric ICU to get report on the patients I would care for during the night -- my last night on call as a resident. There were jokes about how after midnight, I might switch off my pager or simply tell the caller to page the 'resident' instead of me.

My last night on call was wonderful. I ordered pizza for everyone. Instead of wishing for a 'quiet' night, I actually wanted cases. My wish was granted. It was quite busy, with different, interesting admissions and call issues. I admitted a 20-month old female who had had 5 seizures that day. Her parents were both family practice docs. At 3 am in the morning, I did a spinal tap on her. My PICU attending made me a little plaque to wear on my back for the night that said 'After midnight, the bucks stops here!'.

It was poignant to spend my last day in residency on call. When I signed out at 6 am the next morning, I was officially done. The ward team to whom I had signed out were busy sorting out the admissions of the night. Since it was the start of a new month, it was a new team and you could tell they were a little nervous. Everyone had new roles: there was a fresh intern at the table -- his first day in residency; the second resident at the table was now a 'senior' resident -- he was an intern till yesterday, and the Ward Chief was starting his first day as a third and final year Peds resident and Chief Resident at the table. The PICU resident was busy gathering numbers in anticipation of morning rounds. Until yesterday, she too was an intern, and now she was a senior resident and the PICU resident for the month. And me, I was done.

I walked away from a busy floor of activity, everyone trying to step into their new roles, while attempting to provide continuity of care to our precious little patients. Life, as usual, goes on.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting, You're a very skilled blogger. I've joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I've shared your website in my social networks!