Thursday, June 25, 2009

The retired physician

I was in Wal-Mart the other day, when I saw a curious, elderly gentleman of East Indian descent looking at me. I smiled back. He asked me whether I worked at the Clinic and I said yes.

We started talking.

He had joined the clinic in 1967 and specialized as an anesthesiologist in doing cases in pediatrics and cardiothoracic surgery. Before long, he was reminiscing and talking about old cases. His wife spied us from across a few aisles and came up. She introduced herself.

It became clear that there was some element of senile dementia. From his wife's 'take-charge' attitude (she locked arms with him and began to lead him out where apparently, her sister had the car loaded with their purchases and waiting), it seemed like she was the primary caregiver. As she led/almost pushed him along, I could see the misty look in his eyes, as he was being led off almost mid-sentence....

Curious thing. We'll all get old and senile dementia increases with age. From the stories I heard, this was a successfull and trailblazing anesthesiologist with many 'firsts' in his career. Now he was a retiree who needed looking after.

This reminded me of a more tragic case: I was doing an emergency room rotation that month when the code pager went off early that morning. I ran behind the ER doc as we came to the ward floor. The patient was a retired physician who had come in for an elective prostrate procedure. In the early hours of the morning, his heart had stopped and when the nurses' aide came in to do vitals at about 6 am, he was pulseless with no respirations. We ran the code for about 30 minutes when it became increasingly clear that this frail but hitherto functioning individual was not coming back.

As the ER doc called his wife to give her the bad news, I reflected on the situation. I imagined that this physician had probably done CPR, and ran codes on others before, perhaps even some physicians. Here he was on the other end of that scenario, for the final time. A life spent in medicine and ended in a medical scenario.

As physicians, growing old, becoming senile, being on the receiving end of emergency medical care -- all this seems scary. And yet, it is our future.

No comments: