Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Then and Now...

It's June, my final month of residency! Last night was my 4th last call of residency (not that I'm counting or anything...). Things have changed so much since my intern year: I used to have butterflies in my stomach on call nights -- anxious and afraid of what might come up and whether I'd be able to handle it. I was 'afraid' of admissions and codes. Like others on the floor in wards (nurses, aides, unit clerks) I would say "Don't say the 'Q' word (quiet) because we woouldn't want to 'jinx' it and get a lot of admissions, codes or pts in crisis. Now though, I look forward to call night to see what we'll get. I'm not afraid or anxious, although I maintain a healthy respect for the unknown in medicine.

At 3 am I got a call from a 3rd year resident who was on call in the CCU (Critical Care Unit). He had admitted an 80-something year old with severe hypotension. The patient was already on pressors through a peripheral IV and needed a central line. He wondered if I could come and assist. Sleep evaporated and I walked over with a bounce in my step. I was on call for Pediatrics but nothing was happening, so I looked forward to actually doing something that night.

During the first attempt at placing the line, the patient became unresponsive. We called a code, did chest compressions and got him back. The line was placed and an hour later I was back in Peds. In my intern days, this would have pumped me with adrenalin. Not so much last night. It was 'fun'. I know I need to guard against becoming complacent or over-confident. No one knows everything and these are literally life and death situations. But I feel ready for the next step in medicine. I am done with my training at the end of this month and looking forward to the future.

No comments: