Saturday, May 30, 2009

Foreign body (in more ways than one)

This is a story from a little while back. We admitted a 17 year old female with abdominal pain. As part of the admission tests, we got an abdominal x-ray (a KUB). This is what it looked like:








When we saw the x-ray, we all wondered what those radio-opaque circular objects were. During morning rounds, we stood around the computer screen wondering if she might have inadvertently (or purposely) swallowed something, or were they foreign bodies or calcium crystals or pigments from a tatoo. Finally, since this was a patient I had admitted, I was elected to go into the room and ask her. As diplomatically as I could, I asked our little miss if there was something she might want to tell us. I told her I needed to examine her lower back. She dutifully turned onto her stomach and let me pull me the sheets down. I was all prepared to find a tatoo of some sort on her lower back skin but what I saw stopped me in my tracks and instantly provided the answer to our radiologic dilemma. I turned beet red as I saw a pretty pink thong with artificial gems studded in the pattern of a butterfuly on the triangular piece of thong. My colleagues all had a good laugh at me because I was obviously embarrassed by my finding. We all had an even bigger laugh when the radiologist's official read of the x-ray came back as:
"there are multiple radiopaque densities projected in the central aspect of the lower pelvis, probably at the rectosigmoid junction. I presume that this represents residua from suppository or previously-injected material."
Should we tell him?

No comments: