Thursday, February 05, 2009

Time Crunch...

Sigh! It's been so long since I've written...
So much has happened...

Well, did I mention that with the beginning of my 4th year, I became the Chief Resident of my program?

During most of this year (academic year) I have agonized over:
1. Should I do a fellowship or look for a job?
2. Where is my place?

After soul-searching, I have abandoned my earlier plan to do an ID fellowship. Not to be arrogant, but with all the education I have, if nothing else, I should be able to learn outside of a structured curriculum. I love all of medicine, so I don't want to do a fellowship and narrow myself down to something. Perhaps what I will end up doing doesn't even come in a fellowship box.

Anyway, with that decision made, I began to look for jobs. I applied to mostly university programs and a couple of private clinics and hospitals with university affiliations. Although I have never dated, I get the feeling that these job hunting interviews were kind of like going out on first dates: everyone is formally dressed and showing off their best side and the whole event is somewhat orchestrated and pre-programmed.

I learned many things about the process and of course, myself in the process: promises are made that are not kept.

What I was looking for in my 'dream' job was the opportunity to:
1. Practice both medicine and pediatrics
2. Do so in an academic environment and,
3. Have the time, resources and opportunity to do research.
4. I was partial to places with existing infra-structure in international work since that is something I know that God has got for me in the future.

After travelling far and wide and having many fun experiences, I found my 'dream' job. It is right here at the Marshfield Clinic!

I am pleased to announce that come July 13 2009, I shall be the newest faculty member of the Marshfield Clinic Med-Peds department. Thank you, thank you.

I am setting up continued research collaboration with Sanjay Shukla's lab and my bacteriophage research. I shall look into getting an academic appointment from UW -- foundations for future research and teaching ventures.

1 comment:

Autie Leigh said...

THIS IS SOO EXCITING! I'm soo thrilled you'll be staying! Maybe if Shusma can't see the baby you'll be able to! Thanks for posting! It's always fun to read your insights in the world of medicine! Glad your coming back to us! Hope that things are great with you!