Friday, February 20, 2009

In Memory of Miller Lite and other patients....

Okay. HIPAA forbids me from using names. However, with a name as common as Miller or Smith, I think I may be safe.

During my last 2 months of back-to-back internal medicine wards, our team took care of a wonderful, witty, very sick 70-something male with the name Miller. Mr. Miller had suffered a massive heart attack several months ago that ended up with him getting bypass surgery. Although he pulled through the heart problems okay (sort of), he never really bounced back. By the time he came to us from the nursing home where he was (still) recuperating, he had developed fluids in both lungs and had lost so much weight, he appeared pale and cachectic. With the graveyard humor that hids the pain that is unavoidable as one watches life ebb and patients die, I nicknamed him Miller Lite.

Over the 8 weeks that we were on the wards, Miller Lite from "let's keep fighting" to "I want to die". Miller Lite always had something funny to say to you when you went into his room. He never sounded bitter, critical, frustrated, although sometimes he sounded sad. He had one living child, a daughter he had raised practically by himself. It was touching to go back and forth between daughter and father and hear the exact same admonition:

"Things don't look good, do they. Well, be easy on (insert 'dad' or 'daughter'). I don't want him (her) to suffer!"

I don't think I will ever forget Miller Lite. He died almost within days of being moved from the medicine ward of the hospital to the Palliative Care unit.

It reminds me of another patient that died. Ms Mindy was a 50-something female with cognitive delay with a moppy disposition who had endured multiple abdominal surgeries and wasn't recovering. I was a third year medical student and it was my first surgery rotation. I was married at the time and once wistfully remarked to my attending after countless days in the hospital:

"I think I know more about when Ms Mindy last passed gas or had a bowel movement than I know about how things are with my wife or my family." We both laughed and then there was the awkward silence that comes after a sad truism has been uttered.

Taking care of patients is emotional business (this clinical distance is a myth) and with the long hours and years of training of medicine, is it any surprise that a number of your emotive experiences and memories become those of your patients?

No comments: