Sunday, October 11, 2009

The phone call

New experiences don't end with residency. I love that about medicine. Another feature of medicine that makes it uncommon among professions is the human drama that goes with it.

I had seen a late 30-something for a complete physical last week. She looked down and through the course of the interview, I found out she had just finalised her divorce. To make matters worse, her 4 year old daughter had come away from her first visit with her father with bruises on her body. This brave woman fought back tears as she told me these things between looking in her eyes and ears. I felt a bit uncomfortable as a male provider doing this complete physical exam during a stage of her life when surely she must think all men are pigs.

Introducing the pelvic exam, as sensitively as I could, I offered her a complete sexually transmitted disease testing panel. At first she declined, but when I pointed out that in the context of the setting of the divorce, she might consider it, she agreed.

The results came back this morning.

I picked up the phone to call her. I pointed out that the Chlamydia test was positive. As if this was not bad enough news to give, I had to point out that as a notifiable disease, our lab had directly contacted the county healthy department. She asked if her name had been given. Honestly, I did not know, but I found out quickly. Not only was her name passed on, but a county health nurse would be contacting her.

Besides the devastation of getting a sexually transmitted disease from someone who had betrayed her in so many other ways as well, she was not concerned about her privacy and reputation. My heart was in knots as I tried to reassure her that even in a small town like ours, her information would be confidential. However, more and more people seemed involved in the loop: my medical assistant who receives the result from the lab, the lab personnel in charge of notification, the county health department and its share of employees that would be doing following up. I could see her point. I felt helpless and frustrated but that must be nothing compared to what she felt.

I'll follow her closely. I hope she's okay.

1 comment:

mary said...

yes doc, thats's sad. I wish she's ok.