Sunday, November 12, 2006

Mahatma Gandhi and medicine...

Yesterday, I watched the movie 'Swades' (can you tell I had the day off :-) ?). In the opening credits, there is a reference to a book called Bapu Kuti by Rajni Bakshi. It is a book about how some of India's journalists, scientists and artists are re-discovering Gandhi. This posed a question in my mind: what did this great man think of medicine?

I recall growing up that my grandmother used to go to a natural cure ashram where the medical practitioners followed Gandhian principles of healthcare. I was too little to remember the details of what they did. Anyway, I got on the 'net and found the book 'Gandhi's Health Guide' by the man himself. What do you think it said?

Well, to those of us from India (and I suspect, to a lot of us from other countries too), Gandhi was a great man. He has been compared to the founders of the world's great religions. However, in regards to his views on medicine, perhaps he was as much a victim of his times and circumstances as many of his contemporaries. I invite you to read extracts from his book at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1580910513/ref=sib_dp_pt/102-6830000-4462505#reader-link

In all fairness, I do believe that had he lived today, he would have acknowleged that physicians and hospitals are necessary and even a blessing to many. After all, not all sickness seems to come from wrongful living.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dr. Med/Ped, I am conflicted about how Hinduism reconciles the concept of endless cycles of reincarnation (and that the physical body is inconsequential, fleeting) and cultural/spiritual teachings that duty, obligation, sacrifice, and selfless service to others--such as can be found in the medical and research fields. Why heal, cure, and mitigate disease, pain, suffering (etc) if the physical world is meaningless? Thoughts? Thanks!