Sunday, November 05, 2006

A day and a night in the CCU -- "...she's stopped breathing!"

Well, as a Med/Peds resident, I do something different from most of the other residencies. I shift every 4 months between the worlds of Pediatrics and Internal Medicine. With the change in the month, I am back in Internal Medicine again and my patients went from being 7 to 73. Yesterday and last night night, I was on call in the Critical Care Unit. It's been a while since I was there (I think a year has passed) so it took a few moments to get used to things again.

It was a busy night. I got to intubate one patient, and place arterial lines in two others -- one was a femoral and the other a radial.

At about noon, a hospitalist called to say that a 73 year old female patient of hers was found in her room with a heart rate in the 30s and in apneic breathing. She was bringing her to us. As she wheeled her into our section of the unit, her face (the doctor's) was white and she looked frightened. She said "I think she has stopped breathing!" Well, those are the magic words...

I was by her side and feeling for a carotid pulse. There was none. With nurses, and my fellow resident all coming to her side, I began chest compressions while my colleague called out for atropine and epinephrine. Within less than a minute, she was back. Sometimes medicine happens in bursts of a few seconds that make a difference between life and death. I think that besides the adrenaline that we injected into this patient, there was quite a bit in everyone else in the room.

We set up the necessary access lines and blood pressure medications to stabilize her. Unfortunately, she has severe coronary artery disease -- two of the three main blood vessels in her heart (right coronary artery and circumflex) are completely blocked off while the third -- the left anterior descending, is 50% blocked. Because of chronic renal failure, she is not a candidate for a bypass procedure (that is to say she would probably die during the procedure necessary to save her life -- ironic, isn't it?). Although we were able to rescucitate her (get her heart to start beating on its own again and get her to breath), she is in an unresponsive state.

Well, I was quite busy with all this excitement. But there was more. I guess it was to be the night of the 70-somethings.

No comments: