Sunday, August 20, 2017

Day 7 in New York

Today is Sunday. A week ago today, we had gotten in our cars (Amy and me) and drove from Marshfield, Wisconsin to Buffalo, New York, arriving here at about 2:30 am on a Monday morning.

We woke, I had breakfast (Amy had coffee -- she's not a breakfast person, even though I've told her that 'breakfast is the most important meal of the day') and headed off to The Chapel in Getzville (thechapel.com) a non-denominational local church recommended to Amy by one of the workers here at the Inn and also by the COO of Marketing at UB. We found the people friendly and helpful. The service and style of church reminded us of Northridge -- our home church in Marshfield, WI. We enjoyed the worship, the message on marriage and their interest in doing medical missions, particularly in Sierra Leone. Perhaps this will be our future church home. We came back to the Inn. I was able to speak with Ann -- my friend from college whom I had not spoken with since 35 years. It was great catching up. I spoke with my brother, read the Bible for a while.

I do confess: I feel unsettled. We're living in one room in a Red Roof Inn. Our stuff is in Public Storage, stacked one atop another, much of it inaccessible because it's in a box behind other stuff that we cannot identify. I used to be able to walk into a restaurant and recognize a few faces. Now I recognize no one. We still don't have a house to live in, a job schedule. There are so many things to still learn. Although I'm not working, I don't feel like I'm on vacation either. I feel displaced, in between, in transit, unproductive. Anyway, through all this, I am being patient and holding on. Next week, my in-laws arrive and Phoebe comes in from Marshfield. There will be more of us living in this unsettled state. Training for the new job begins -- such as the training is -- a patchwork of hopefully all the orientation and training that I need.Meanwhile, the closing date for our house is September 5. Hopefully, we will actually close on that date and will be able to get movers to move our stuff in the same day. Hopefully, I can take off work that day. It will be Phoebe's first day at a new school. I trust the Lord for grace for all this.

No comments: