Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Day 3 in New York

We woke earlier today - about 7:30 or 8:00 am. My wife and me had made plans to print the applications to register our cars and get local drivers licenses. We had it scheduled for the movers to meet us at the Public Storage in Getzville at about 12:30 pm.

We both left the Inn heading in different directions -- she to try to get her ID at the University, and me to get my IDs at UB. As I drove from Bowmansville to Buffalo city, I prayed and cried out to the Lord: Hineni! Here I am! Send me! Use me to bring your love, your power, your kingdom reign, your  authority to Buffalo. Use me to dispel darkness, break the chains of the enemy and to bring His Majesty. I shouted 'Hineni!' Loudly in my car as I drove into the medical complex. I parked and went first to Buffalo General to pick up a new hire 'Welcome Packet' and get my Certification of Residence signed. I tried to get my Kaleida Health ID from the Security Office but their office hours were over (it was 11 am and they stopped ID work at 10 am). I drove to Childrens hospital to try to get the ID there, but Security was attending a trauma in the ER.

In the meanwhile, my wife called me in tears. The movers had come at 11:30 am and were waiting for us at Public Storage! Without getting her ID from the university, she turned around to get there. When she did, the office was closed and since she had not been able to go back to the Inn to get the Access Codes for the gates, she couldn't get anyone into the area with the units. So the movers were just sitting around, charging us by the hour while everyone waited for someone to come and open the gate.

By the time I was able to get there at about 12:30 pm, they had got through the gate (someone finally came) and began to moving. I helped move things. In the process, the movers showed us that in the process of packing the furniture into the van, some pieces of furniture were damaged. My wife was not happy. Anyway, we got everything moved into the units (we had to rent an additional 10 x 10 unit because everything would not fit into the two we had originally rented). It was about 6:00 pm. We were sweaty and tired by then.

Once again, the 2 Penske trucks stared at us. Now empty, they had to be returned to the Penske Truck dealer. I got in the driver's seat once again and once again, my wife led the procession. I went over a curb a couple of times, but did not damage anything. When we reached the dealer, we discovered that the tank was only 1/3rd full. We were told that they would charge us $ 7 a gallon to refill it with diesel. So... The procession hit the road again, this time in search of a gas station. Fortunately, there were two nearby. Unfortunately, they did not have diesel! On the third try, we found one and yours truly took on the tricky task of positioning the truck near enough to a pump without hitting it, to fill it with fuel. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me! Was my rallying cry.

By the time we returned truck one to the dealer, it was 7 pm. My wife's nerves were frayed from the day she had had. I continued to catch myself and correct course from complaining, murmuring or grumbling, even as she cried over the damage to the furniture.

We came back to the hotel, I had a shower and we hit the sack.

I could not sleep! So I got up and worked on this blog. Our plan for tomorrow is to return truck two, try again to get IDs, maybe go to DMV to get our vehicles registered. My wife was planning to go to the buyer's house to look at some furniture she was interested in selling. If we bought it, it could stay right there.

We're now trying to figure out how to get things our of storage for use that we thought we would have in a house before starting work -- things like dress shoes, my medical instruments, which I had packed, important documents for the above processes. I was reminded of the words of the old hymn the other day, and it comes to mind often during this time:
  • On Christ, the solid Rock, I stand;
    All other ground is sinking sand,
    All other ground is sinking sand.

No comments: