Saturday, August 19, 2017

Day 6 in New York

Today is Saturday.

We woke at about 7 am. I went and got breakfast at Bob Evans (like we have been doing daily). When I came back, we went over to our future home to pick up some mail that had arrived there. After that, we went to a mall to buy a sports jacket, some dress shirts and a pair of black formal shoes. It turns out that faculty in New York wear a sport jacket on their admin and research days. I can't say that I care for that, but I will comply...for now. We came back to the room and I read the Bible. We had the room cleaned too. I managed to call and speak with my brother. We had been texting for the last few days.

A college friend wrote on Facebook that she was coming to NYC and then presenting a paper in Toronto. Hopefully, we can chat on the phone. We plan to go see a movie this afternoon -- something to relieve our action-filled and a little stressful week.

We went and saw 'The Big Sick' -- a movie based on a true story about a Pakistani-born comedian who fell in love with a Caucasian American graduate student. It was funny although the tension with his family not accepting his 'American' girlfriend hit a little close to home. I could empathize with their dissappointment at having struggled to come to this country and their hopes and aspirations for their son to pursue a lucrative career, be a good Muslim and marry a Pakistani girl. However, he decided to pursue a career in stand-up comedy, gave up on his faith (used to play video games when he was supposed to be saying 'Namaz' and married a Caucasian American girl.

After the movie, we went out to eat at Red Lobster. We had a wonderful meal, came 'home' (the Red Roof Inn) and went to bed.

No comments: