Thursday, August 17, 2017

Day 4 in New York

We woke up a little late because we got to bed late. We started the day with a trip to the University to get University IDs. My wife got hers but even though I had a temporary ID, apparently, I was not adequately processed yet in order to get an ID. They told me to come back after I had got my first pay check. It seemed odd but oh well. We were able to open a bank account with the State Employees Credit Union on campus. We then tried to go to DMV. My wife struggled because she could not find her SSN card so we had to go the storage to get her old (before marriage) card and her marriage certificate. We returned and tried to register our vehicles and get driving licenses. Interestingly, even though I had my SSN card and a valid Real ID driving license from the state of Wisconsin, they could not grant me a driving license. This was because my new license had been issued in March and they needed proof that I had been driving for more than 6 months. They asked me if I had my previous license with me. I did not. They asked me to get a Driving Record from the state of Wisconsin sent directly to them. I called the Wisconsin DMV and was told that their Driving Record only included outstanding infractions and the date of my last license renewal. This was unacceptable to NY DMV. Wisconsin DMV had a certificate of clearance that had some information. NY DMV sounded skeptical. Anyway, Wisconsin DMV could fax it over and they would look at it. By then however, it was closing time and they said that they would check the fax tomorrow. So I left without a NY driving license. I feel that one day, if and when I write a book, I should have a chapter called 'Paper Chase' in which I record all my stories of trying to get paperwork done in different countries -- Nigeria, Liberia, Panama, India, the Caribbean, the US.

We then drove to see Radhika and Dharma Iyer. Radhika was in my same class in Panchgani. Of course, she went to Kimmins HIgh School and I went to St. Peter's High School. She was in a girls school and I in a boys school. The only reason we 'met' was that in those days, both Kimmins girls and St. Peter's boys attended the St. Peter's church. We both sang in the choir. I sat in the boys section and she in the girls section, directly opposite. We were both in the choir from 5th through 10th grade, so I guess we 'knew' each other for 5 years. However, other than speaking once at a church choir picnic, we were not allowed to speak with each other.

It was wonderful to see her again -- 40 years later. We had connected on Facebook some months ago and had a nice long chat.

Dharma and Radhika were great hosts. We had a delicious Indian dinner, and she pulled out her guitar and we sang together some of the old choruses and hymns we sang together in the church choir. Radhika is moving to North Carolina in about 6 months. I look forward to seeing more of her and Dharma over the next few months. My first real friend in Buffalo.

We got back home by about 10:30 to 11:00 pm and hit the sack.

No comments: