Monday, July 18, 2011

The Brothers Mayo and their Institution

In July, I got to go to Rochester to attend a course in Internal Medicine. It was summer and beautiful. I had never been to Rochester. Rochester, Minnesota is best known for the world-famous Mayo Clinic. All these years, I had read its name in jounals, studies and the popular press. I finally got to see the place for myself.

What impressed me most of all is the vision of the Mayo brothers. Here they are (maybe it's just me, but don't they look like they're made of chocolate?)
The plaque near the statue is shown below:

I have a brother too. I love that neither of them ever wanted to claim credit for themselves, but always spoke humbly of themselves as a team.

The vision of these two surgeons and their father led to an institution that put Rochester on the map and created many notable medical breakthroughs.
Here is the entrance to one of the older buildings called the Plover building. It is named after one of the first physician-scientists that the brothers hired to part of the 'Mayo Clinic'. He went on to win a Nobel prize. The rest of the building is shown below. My lack of skills in photography limit me from doing justice to the beauty of the building.


Here is an elevator in the building. Wow!
The main clinic building is in the next two pictures shown below:
The Brothers Mayo believed in education and also build a medical school:

The moral of this story: vision can accomplish great things.

1 comment:

Ninot said...

Very inspiring indeed- Particularly for me as I am transitioning into the residency phase in a few months.