Sunday, September 26, 2010

Temporary Insanity

Life as a physician is busy. It would be wonderful to have a day to just read: textbooks, journal articles, look up stuff relating to perplexing cases, but that does not happen. It would be nice to come home not completely spent emotionally, physically and mentally and have a second wind to do something else. Not usually on a weekday.

The solution: temporary insanity.

Every so often, I get a complete weekend off -- no call, no volunteer work scheduled, no extra shifts, (we'll not talk about the piled up reading, studying for boards, doing CME activity, it'll be our little secret). This is not often, you understand.

That's when it happens: temporary insanity.

For 2 glorious days, I am not a doctor, not a scientist and sometimes, not even a sentient being. I eat. I sleep. I watch a nonsensical movie. I buy a comicbook or a science fiction mag. I vegetate. It's like a mini-vacation. It's pretending that there are no pending deadlines, it's supressing the perpetual guilt one feels for not studying enough, not reading enough, not being up to date with every last shred of paperwork, not having answered every last email, not having cleaned the bathtub in a while, or the kitchen, or ...never mind. Temporary insanity makes it all go away. It feels good. In the words of a country song I heard "I don't have to be me till Monday."

1 comment:

Mohd Faizal Bin Nor Azmi said...

good for you.....pamper urself sometimes