Sunday, April 06, 2008

Who lives and who dies?

I am back in Internal Medicine and on the Wards. The ward month is very busy with call every four days and walking up and down between the different floors of the hospital and the MICU. Still, I love it. Ward medicine gives you a 'captive' patient: he is in the bed and you 'control' his medicines, activity and diet. Compliance is hardly an issue.

My first call night of the month, I admitted -- at different times of the night -- two very similar patients. They both came from nursing homes. They were both DNR/DNI. They were both in respiratory distress and unresponsive. One seemed to have a urinary tract infection and the other dehydration and maybe a pneumonia. One was 87 years old and the other 82. With both patients, the management strategy was similar -- treat as sepsis with fluids and broad-spectrum antibiotics and that was what was done.

During the night, one of them died and the other not only lived but 'came to life' -- she woke up and began talking with us, quit lucidly I might add.

We often joke on the wards about 'let's go out there and save some lives!'. I am sure we have something to do with it, but sometimes I wonder how much...

One died and the other lived. We will still do what we do and maybe one day can stratify the risks better to predict the outcome. For now, I still believe God holds life and death in his hands.

No comments: