Saturday, March 01, 2008

Teenage girl angst

Those of you in residency know this is true: sometimes cases come in groups. Well, last night on call was the night of teenage girl angst. A colleague tells me that it is because it is a cold winter in Wisconsin.

We got a 14 year old girl who stood in front of her friends in a bathroom at school and swallowed a bunch of lithium and prozac tablets, then washed it down with windshield wiper fluid.

A couple of nights ago, we got another 14 year old who had a fight with her parents and swallowed a bunch of tylenol tablets.

Then there's the 14 year old whose weight is 75% below normal -- thin as a rake.

There was also the 13 year old with cut marks on her forearm made with a razor blade. She cut on herself because she was upset and depressed.

The 14 year old who has 'seizures' -- only they aren't.

I remember the teenage years being rough. But I wasn't a girl and so can't identify with the stories I heard:

"my parents don't understand me" "I'm not beautiful" "Life sucks" "they jump to conclusions about me" "I want to be with my friends but my parents won't let me"

Teenage girl angst.

No comments: