Monday, August 20, 2007

Pronouncing the Dead...

Today I pronounced my first death, as a licensed physician.

I got my license to practice medicine in the state of Wisconsin about a year ago now. Although I am still a resident, as a licensed physician, I get to write and sign some documents I could not do a year ago as an intern.

There are patients who come into the ER or the hospital or the critical care unit whom you barely have time to get to know. They are either dead on arrival, or actively dying and slide down so quickly, no intervention works. When you 'call it' on one of these, there is the despair, frustration, anger, defeat and helplessness that comes with a battle lost.

It is worse when it is a patient you have cared for, for some time. It is even worse when the patient is young and dying of something you cannot identify. My 26 year old male patient died at 4:17 am. He was surrounded by his father, mother, sister and girlfriend of 6 years. Everything we could do had been tried and failed. The family did not wish an autopsy, so he carries the secret of what killed him to the grave with his body.

This is NOT what you train for. It is not why you come to work. It is not the outcome you study, struggle and work for. My grief cannot compare at all with that of the parents of a previously healthy 26 year old son who dies in a few months of unknown causes (he died of multi-organ failure secondary to ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome) but the cause of the ARDS is unknown.

I have no more words.

He died at 4:17 am. The day was one of busiest in the unit: while rounding on our eight patients, very sick ones, another patient arrived who had begun to bleed acutely while in the wards. She was unstable, in a lot of pain and may have been bleeding to death. We barely stabilized her when our beepers went off indicating a 'code blue' -- an elderly gentleman passed out in front of an elevator, had to be shocked back to life, was now intubated and was on the way to the unit. Rounds were over as quickly as we could run them and news of three more patients -- one en route from an outside facility, one in the ER and one being transferred from a floor ward arrived. All sick. No time to grieve, collect one's thoughts or dictate a death summary.

I got home after all this. Before I left, I walked past the CCU bay where my 26 year old patient had been. The bay had been cleaned, the bed re-made. We were crunched for space. Soon, another patient would be in that bay. I left for the day, after a day, night and day of call.

Over a dinner, while keeping sleep-deprived eyes open, I finally get to say my goodbye and grieve a little.

Tomorrow is another day.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

What do you suppose is worse, sudden disaster, or the knowledge that disaster may strike?
Does being able to prepare help the pain or does the anxiety start killing you first?
Is pronouncing the dead harder if you knew the person or if you did'nt? This pain is shared by the one who the dead belongs to.
Does that help either one?
Hard life we deal with dude, take everything in process to the cross.
Best place to leave the dead, within and without.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your wonderful blog and your letter to me earlier on a different website. Feel free to email me if you'd like.

Anonymous said...

Hello. My wife and I bought our house about 6 months ago. It was a foreclosure and we were able to get a great deal on it. We also took advantage of the 8K tax credit so that definitely helped. We did an extensive remodeling job and now I want to refinance to cut the term to a 20 or 15 year loan. Does anyone know any good sites for mortgage information? Thanks!

Mike

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted