Saturday, February 10, 2007

Older doctors...

Yesterday, I worked in the orthopedics clinic with a 72-year old physician. He was elected as a fellow in the American College of Orthopedic Surgeons in 1974. Calculating back, he probably went to medical school when I was 1 or 2 years old... and I am 44 year old now. Talk about a lifetime in medicine!

What do you think when you see a 72-year old man still practicing? I was delighted to learn that not only was he sharp, energetic and competent, but he was a pleasure to learn from. It was a great opportunity to learn clinical pearls from someone who has been doing this as long as I have lived.

This interesting gentleman was a 'retired' orthopedic surgeon. After doing private practice for 7 years and then 30-some years of orthopedic surgery at this clinic, he retired. He bought a 50-ton boat and spent the next 5 years sailing with his wife. When he got tired of that, he decided to come back to medicine, only this time, not to surgery. He sees patients in the orthopedics department, evaluating and medically treating their orthopedic problems. When necessary, he involves his surgical colleagues if his patients need a surgical solution.

I hope that when I am 72, I am as energetic, pleasant and competent as this fine physician. Age is truly no bar in medicine, if one does it right.

No comments: