Monday, May 14, 2001

first semester at medical school

I have settled back into the house and back into school. This semester is so busy I did not eat lunch at all last week. I am taking anatomy and histology and it has me running from pillar to post. My class schedule is: 08:00 to 11:00 am Anatomy 11:00 to 12:00 am Lunch (during which I prepare to teach biochemistry) 12:00 to 02:00 pm Histology 02:00 to 04:00 pm Biochemistry (which I teach)
In anatomy, we have lab twice a week - Mondays and Thursdays, instead of the lecture. We are five of us assigned to each cadaver. 3 of us work on one side and 2 of us on the other. Our group of 5 has decided to come in every morning and spend extra time from 7:00 to 8:00 am. In addition, we spent Saturday evening, from 4:00 pm to 10:00 pm working on the cadaver, with a 45 minute break for dinner. All this extra time is needed since the dissection takes time and we can never complete it and study it during the allocated lab time.
After all this, there is still the studying to do for histology (whose lab has not even begun yet) and some more studying of the clinical cases associated with anatomy. Needless to say, I am swamped with work. Of course, I am enjoying the many new experiences. Cutting a dead human being is the real initiation to medical school and I am happy to report that I am being initiated in full force.

On Sunday, I was so tired I didn't do anything. I had some coffee and a frozen pizza for lunch and that was all I ate all day. I hope I lose weight and given my schedule, I think I shall.

No comments: