Sunday, April 06, 2008

"Give me some coffee!"

69 year old Mr Jones (I'll call him) is in the medical ICU. He has lung injuries and breathing problems. He is NPO (nil per os -- which means 'nothing by mouth'). His son walked in this morning to see him, holding a cup of coffee in his hands, the aroma filling the room.

"Give me some coffee!" exclaims my patient slurring his speech and breathing hard. Mr. Jones alternates between being lucid and agitated and restless.

"Pa, the doctor said you can't have it." the daughter explains as she signals with her eyes for the son to leave the room with the coffee cup.

I overheard. I am 'the doctor'.

There is something that flinches inside whenever I am reminded that I have denied another human being the basic right to eat and drink by my 'orders' written in the patient's chart. I only have to write 'NPO' and sign my name. It is enough. The power.

Mr. Jones is NPO because he 'failed' the swallow test. When he was offered a little something by mouth in a controlled situation, he aspirated and choked on it. Perhaps he is still too weak, perhaps he suffered injury from the breathing tube that was in his windpipe for several days when he could no longer breath on his own. The NPO is medically justified and re-evaluated at regular intervals.

Still, I flinch.

No comments: