Thursday, May 28, 2020

COVID-19 tour Day #5

We are getting busier... not because of a second wave of COVID-19, but because sick people feel a little more comfortable coming to the hospital. We just got a patient with a triglyceride level of 6000 (normal is less than 150). He was on medication but could not afford it and insurance would not cover it. So he ended up in the intensive care and is now transferred to us. He is, of course, COVID-positive.


The day passes quickly. Rounds take longer because we need to put on PPE for every room, take it off and wash our hands and stethoscopes when we come out and do it all again for the next patient. Breathing through a well-fitted N95 is difficult. If it isn't, then the mask does not have a good seal and is not on right.


I am getting a little tired, physically but more so emotionally. It shouldn't bother me, but it does discourage me: I have met very few volunteers. Most of the doctors and nurses who responded to the call for help came through an agency and are being paid a great deal of money to be here. I, on the other hand, had to take vacation days and because I did not give 60 days notice, will return to give up my research days to see patients to make up for sessions I missed. It's also been a little expensive living away from home, although I am grateful the hotel is paid for. I spend money on coffee, breakfast and dinner and because restaurants aren't open, I end up paying for some delivery too.


Anyway, I remind myself that I am doing this because I am a Christian and I go where I am commanded. God has been faithful. My needs are provided for -- one way or the other, I am safe and I am making a difference in the lives of the people -- patients, staff, others that I touch.

No comments: