Thursday, July 09, 2009

Physician, heal thyself!

It is a little over a week since my residency 'ended' (my last working day was July 1, but I am still a resident on the books until July 12). Last night was the first night that I think I slept right through. Strangely, during the nights before that, I kept waking up every couple of hours. My body seems to finally be making peace with the fact that I shall be sleeping most every night!

My days are spent studying for boards and ... well, I get ahead of myself.

Now that residency is over, I did an assessment of my lifestyle with the help of my brother with whom I had lively discussions on the matter during my family's visit for graduation. The results were not good: at a BMI of 28.1, I am overweight and with a resting pulse of 80, clearly not fit.

I guess it is time to make some life changes (since completing residency set that in motion). I have pledged myself to regular exercise, healthier eating and weight loss. I also made appointments with my doctor for a complete physical and the dentist for cleaning and treatment. Studying for the internal medicine boards (my occupation these days) has only re-inforced to me that I am overdue for these changes.

However, having recognized the problem and put a plan into place (and kept to it for the 1st 2 weeks now), I am hopefully on the way to a healthier me and to heeding the command of the old adage: physician, heal thyself!

No comments: