Wednesday, March 26, 2008

She's got the look...

I'm in Allergy this month. I am working with a wonderful Pediatric Allergist. As a resident in training, when you're in a specialty rotation like Allergy, things work a little differently. The Attending physician will send me in to the patient's room to see him or her first. I come out and 'present' the case to him and we then go in together and finish the encounter. During this second phase, I get to watch him interact with the parent and the child patient.

Something I've only noticed this month is the expression on the mom's faces as the doctor asks their child a question and their child answers.

There's the look.

The eyes light up, the face glows with warmth and pride and there's a playful smile on the lips as they almost try to mouth prompt the answers to the child. The roughest most confrontational adult is transformed when their attention switches from you to their child. The child, completely unaware, focuses on the doctor and answers the question. To me, the silent witness, the mom seems completely unaware of the expression on her face. The look.

A different patient room. A different child. A different mom. Ten, sometimes twenty times a day. Always, the same look.

No comments: